Thursday, March 26, 2009

Balenciaga Paris book

Love this book! It's so inspiring especially now that I'm doing my fall/winter 09 collection.

The master, Cristobal Balenciaga.

Some of my fave images in the book. I think this suit is still so very modern. I love the sleeve and boxy proportions.

Ditto with this one. The tent line of the jacket and the deep V of the collar is nice.

I took inspiration from this image for some of my jackets.

The innovator, Nicolas Ghesquiere.

I'm loving the super skinny sleeves with slight flair paired with an ample pleated pants, almost like what Armani or Yohji Yamamoto used to make in the 80's.

Itsy bitsy, teeny weeny waist for an egg-like skirt and boots. The sleeves again, I'm fascinated by it.

The book contains the timeline of the house and relevant reviews, both good and bad, given by the international fashion critics. It's refreshing to read some exciting info and insider tid bits you wouldn't normally read in regular reviews. I wish there were more photos and drawings, though. There was not a lot of stuff about Nicolas' design processes and how he developed the label in respect to what Mr. Balenciaga did. It's as if you're expected to just understand it. Nevertheless, it's a well designed book. If you're a Balenciaga fan then you would love this.

No comments: