Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Choose Your Armor Wisely

A large part of my blog is documenting the evolution of my style and the clothing I wear. Strangely, I don't remember how it started or why I started doing it. Certainly, it's not about trends since I dance to the beat of my own drum. I'm really not good in analyzing my own tendencies although I often find myself asking those kinds of questions. Nowadays, I consider comfort and functionality as the main motivation for the things I like to wear. I get shocked when I still get comments saying I'm a weird dresser or I look edgy. I inspect my recent looks and I look boring. Sometimes I have this thought of throwing out all my stuff except for a bunch of plain tees, a carefully considered selection of classic suit jacket, some drop crotch pants and sensible generic shoes from Muji or Converse. Of course, all in black. Minimalism. Fuss free dressing and all. But I know I can't do it. It worked once when I was in college but it's simply unbearable now. I've been agonizing over this thought for some time now but I still end up buying and hoarding stuff from everywhere. Oh, well...

Top: Tsumori Chisato tee + Journal Standard vest, bottom - Plantation pants, shoes - Vans, bag - Fred Perry.

Top - Uniqlo sweatshirt, bottom - H&M jeans, shoes - Vans, bag - ArtBerg.

Top - Jumen top, bottom - Plantation pants, shoes - Vans, bag - Jean Paul Gaultier.

Top - Seven Heaven tee, bottom - Levi's jeans, shoes - Timberland, necklace - DP leather fringe.

Top - McQ Alexander McQueen tee, bottom - Plantation pants, shoes - Vans, bag - Porter.

Top - Codes Combine cropped hoodie + Izzue shirt, bottom - EDITED pants, shoes - Tino Bellini.

Top - Comme des Garcons jacket + Gaspard Yurkievich tank, bottom - H&M jeans, shoes - Y-3 Yohji Yamamoto, bag - Maison Martin Margiela.

Top - Maison Paige tee, bottom - A.P.C. jeans, bag - Porter, shoes - Timberland.

Top - A4 tee, bottom - DP pants, shoes - Vans, bag - Jeremy Scott x Longchamp.

There was a time when I don't necessarily design for myself but I find it's so much the case now. I sometimes question the validity of my propositions whenever a piece doesn't move and sell well. I argue with myself that if I like wearing it myself then there are others who will buy and wear it, too. Of course, many other factors are involved in the retail business but didn't I say early on I am not good at this analyzing thing. I know I'm just blurting useless stuff here. Too much ado about nothing. Although, there is this one blogger who has a way with words and ruminates many of the things I often think of but sadly can't eloquently write. Read him here.

No comments: