Monday, February 01, 2010

Kansai Yamamoto

One of the labels I've been hunting (and there are so many I'm telling you) for its historic relevance in fashion and for the crazy style of its designer is Kansai Yamamoto. It is with immense joy that I thank Japan Japan Thrift Shop for selling random stuff like this one and making me soooo happy. I got it for $1.00 and in fine condition, too.

Isn't this piece lovely, front and back? Kansai is one of Japan's founding father of contemporary fashion. He recently had a major retrospective of his works at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. His exuberant and colorful designs is quite a foil to Rei Kawakubo or Yohji Yamamoto's more deconstructed style.

I'm so in love with the quirkiest details like the buttons used. His forte is knit wear in weird style and grade. He designed costumes for David Bowie during his Ziggy Stardust tour so you could imagine his bold aesthetic. His idea of chicness is all about making a 'wow', according to this article.

Proudly made in Japan. This is the first of the many Kansai Yamamoto I'm going to collect.

No comments: